View Single Post
Old 08-07-2016, 06:22 AM
romanojg

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I almost bought my Bernina 440 at a show. I did get a written price on it, and was assured that my local dealer would be able to do the servicing. But - when I checked with the two nearest dealers, they said that they would not be able to offer the classes and service that they offer on machines that they sell. One of the dealers did agree to meet the show price, however, and I purchased the machine through him, getting his classes and service too.
This is a really good point. I've heard very often that local shops will only offer classes and maintenance on machines from their shops. If you aren't local, I'd price the machines at the show, then call a local dealer and let them know what you want to buy, see if they'll either honor the classes/maintenance or match the price. You can't beat having the classes and/or a place to go when you need help with things. Especially where you aren't paying an arm and a leg. I know one local store where anyone with any machine, as long as you have a basic knowlege of your machine can take their classes but you do pay. The good thing about this shop, even when I was taking my low end machine and most of the class had a top of the line one, no one ever said a word because I had the machine I did. My machine did everything thiers did but some things I just had to do the old fashioned way. Like cutwork