Old 08-07-2016, 08:36 AM
ptquilts

Default Do you volunteer, and if so, tell us about it

I know a lot of you make quilts for various charities, but other than that, do you volunteer anywhere?

I volunteer two days a week at a very busy food shelf. We sometimes serve 80 families a day!! I just love it - it is the greatest "job" ever - I get to give people so much and it doesn't cost me anything, lol!! Families or individuals can come in once a month and get (approx.) a week's worth of food.

I meet so many wonderful people - I don't think I have ever helped anyone who didn't thank me at the end, and quite often I get a hug as well! I hear such sad stories and yet I also see so much love - an elderly woman taking care of her husband who is in a wheelchair, siblings who are helping their less fortunate brother or sister, an older person who has worked their whole life, but in retirement, the spouse's medical bills are eating up all the extra funds.

Sometimes I feel like I am in the middle of a revolving door with food coming in on one side (1500 pounds of produce a day is normal, along with breads, dessert, meats, etc. ) and going out on the other!! It all has to be sorted, processed, packaged, and stored.

We have a great group of volunteers and thank goodness there are also social workers at this organization to help people with other problems.

I started after my husband passed and it has really filled a need for me to send my love out into the world.