Old 01-29-2010, 12:58 PM
Rachelcb80

Originally Posted by dunster
By "skipping stitches" do you mean that some stitches are longer than others? This would indeed be the BSR not working as it should. When I first got my machine, the BSR occasionally had trouble if I was moving sideways across a seam. After an update was loaded, that problem went away. I always take my BSR in with the machine for servicing, just in case there are updates for it. I bought an extended service policy, so I can take the machine in as often as I want to be cleaned and checked out.

If you really mean that the machine is skipping stitches, meaning that the needle is going down but no stitch is being formed, then that is not the BSR and you might see the same thing happen in regular sewing. It could be that you're pulling the fabric too fast, causing the needle to be deflected slightly, so it bends (at least temporarily) and cannot form a good stitch. Or it could be that your machine has a "new machine" problem and needs adjustment. The best thing to do would be to take the whole thing, machine and BSR, down to the shop and tell them you need it checked out.

Good luck. I hope you get the machine and/or BSR fixed soon. The BSR is a wonderful tool to have, and it's too bad you're having problems with it.
I do mean really skipping stitches, as in the needle goes down, 4 or 5 times, and doesn't make a stitch. I honestly am trying my very best to be slow and steady with my movement. I don't know how to do it any better than I'm doing. I pieced this whole quilt on this machine and it never missed a beat while piecing. That was using the patchwork foot and walking foot though.

I really am down to thinking it has something to do with the quilt because like I said before, I can put any fabric sandwich on there and the BSR stitches away no problem. As soon as I put that quilt back on, it'll start skipping one or two stitches in. I've barely had time to move the quilt before it's skipping.

Even though the lady at the shop told me I only needed to bring in the BSR, I'm going to load up my whole machine AND the darn quilt and take it in tomorrow. I sure hope there is something that can be done to fix it. I can't begin to imagine how sad I would be to have this new machine that I can piece whatever on, but can't quilt a darn thing on.