View Single Post
Old 08-09-2016, 09:10 AM
starshine

Wonderfully entertaining thread. I have heard the majority of these of these and some are familiar from my experience and some I've heard from others. Bu some of these were new to me.
I grew up in the Midwest and have lived in several midwest states and every where I had lived soda pop was always "pop". My dd went to a college here but had friends from NY and when she came home for a break she said she was laughed at by her NY friends when she called it pop-they said its called it soda. I told her everywhere I have lived it was pop so they just didn't realize other areas have their own colloquial words and phrases.
At work one day in explaining a situation to a coworker I told her "I didn't want to cut my nose off to spite my face". She was from Korea and after college here became a citizen and has been here ever since(more than 40 years). She asked me what I meant by that. So I tried to explain it to her-I'm not sure if she really got the meaning or not.
Once talking with dh and giving a direction for a place that was across the intersection diagonally from a reference place, saying it was katty whompus from this place he looked at me and said what? He grew up in Chicago and had never heard that one.