Old 08-09-2016, 09:21 AM
NoraB

I just finished organizing my sewing fabric. I ordered the Fabric Organizers from PaperPieces.com and I love them. I only ordered 50 of them and decided to use those to fold my fabric that is at least 1 yard. Then fabric that is less than 1 yard, I used a folding template that's about the size fat quarters are folded. I used up all my Fabric Organizers (yikes...that helps me understand that I have lots of fabric) and I just pulled out the template for the smaller folds and stacked them. I put the smaller folds into a plastic bag with holes punched in them. The plastic helps keep them nice and tidy and the holes hopefully keep the fabric breathing. Anyway, I took the plunge and anything that is less than 2" in width was cut up and thrown into the bin for dog bed stuffing. Then, I have little plastic bins for 2", 3", 4" and put those scraps in them. Larger pieces were put in plastic bins and I numbered the bins and labeled them. Also put a sheet together of what's in each bin (easier to look thru the list than pull the bins out). I actually found an empty bin in the spare bedroom that I was able to use.....yippee! It was not empty any longer. No matter how much time you devote to this process...it truly is rewarding. Just being able to refold the fabrics and admire them all over again...it was like a mini-shopping spree! I usually put them in categories like:
- flannel - fleece - colors - collections (Moda Autum Lily, Children's Goodnight Moon,
Downton Abbey, etc.).

Just don't get discouraged....for a little while...it will look like a grenade exploded in your room.......make stacks, pull out your bins, keep the vacuum handl, etc. Once you are done...it looks GREAT and you feel sooooooooo organized!
flannel
mini