View Single Post
Old 08-09-2016, 06:51 PM
quiltingshorttimer

Originally Posted by coopah View Post
I don't know about WalMart, but the office supply and big box stores (Target, KMart) carried the lists from each school and each grade level and had them available near the door. As teachers, we sat down before school was out and decided what was absolutely needed. We finally added one ream of copy paper, wet wipes to clean desks, and tissues so we could tell a nose-picker to 'please go get a tissue". Families would buy what they could and some families who were blessed would step up and buy more. We never required anyone to come with extras and I personally always bought the things needed for those who couldn't afford them out of my own pocket. Nothing was said, no one was embarrassed...but it helps the classroom to have these things. And 24 pencils? That's nothing! Some kids chew on them, break off the eraser...you can't imagine what a pencil in a 2nd grade goes through in one day! That's about one new pencil a week.

Jane Quilter :Schools are required to teach 180 days in most states. With more vacations, it stretches the year out. Pluses and minuses to that one.

Purple Passion: At the end of the year we would send home extras if there were enough for each student to get a fair share. Otherwise, we would adjust the list for the next year and/or store them for kids who would start in the middle of the year. (Some of these are homeless or escaping an abusive situation and are protected under the McKinney Act.)

Our PTA always had backpacks for new students who couldn't afford the list items so that when they came into the classroom, they would not be embarrassed or feel 'different' in any way.

Sorry this is so long. The teachers are not profiting by asking for these things. Most of them. And I never got $800 to spend on anything, unless it was a grant for a specific purpose, which had to be documented.

Go volunteer if you want to know what happens to the items you buy.

Edited to add and refine comments.
After 40years as educator at middle and high school level I have to say a total "amen" to this post. When school ended we would dig through the trash left for any salvageable items to put into the "closet" the counseling office kept for the following year. Plus in every school I've worked in, teachers would pull together and purchase Christmas for several families--not just presents but also food, one family we bought mattresses because the kids were sleeping on the floor, and we've bought so many clothes--especially shoes and coats, that I could have opened a clothing store. I had one principal that bought lunch for all the kids that just didn't eat although they could have qualified for free &/or reduced lunches but were too embarrassed (these kids are limited to the "type A"lunch w/o "frills" and most kids would add too their lunch so it was obvious)--which is a chronic problem with teens. This is not unique to the schools I worked in--it happens in ALL public schools.
Someone mentioned about poorer students and at least they have food--not all do!Because my DIL is not well, and my son is "working poor", with 3 young children,we supplement their food resources pretty routinely. Unfortunately, I know so many people my age that are doing the same thing for their children and grandchildren.