View Single Post
Old 08-11-2016, 02:23 AM
plainpat

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Thats ridiculous! What happened to books, notebooks? If the kids are glued to computers they may as well stay home and take classes like some adults take college courses.
a lo-o-ong time ago when my youngest was in elem. school and calculators were popular.....the teacher was asking that the kids bring a certain type to class. I marched over and told the teacher, not my kid....you will teach her how to use her gray matter first, then we will discuss calculators...ended that request!- til the last quarter of that year...entitled intro to calculators......
Our Grandaughter was the last of her age group (28 now) to learn math etc the old fashioned way by rote.The schools then went to calculators....among other changes. Grdaughter was reading,printing,knew her colors,addy & ph number,& could use the phone to call either parent or Grparent. She had a base for learning. Her bro & cuzs,all boys were 7-8 yrs younger & the difference in learning was profound.They could also read etc,but math was all done by calculators,( now tablets)"writing" was non existant,sass was common & reading done by underlining with a finger,word by sloow word.Now we have young adults who need special classes before they can add,read etc at college level. Not sure how that works,as most clerks can't read or do math using their own brain. Generations at a loss.....due to all the changes to "make it better" & fixing what wasn't broken. Who mentioned their soap box? Will take mine & slink off.

Our DD works in grade school & some of the parent stories would curl your hair.Teachers are there because they love to teach.It's a hard job today with hungry kids,many who learn nothing in their homes. Just a mixed up ball of wax.DD's answer to what kids should know when they start school ? No means No.

Last edited by plainpat; 08-11-2016 at 02:34 AM.