View Single Post
Old 08-13-2016, 11:29 AM
Mickey2

I have never had any adverse affects of Triflow; I'm not sure what the additives are except for the teflon, but the oil in the small plastic bottle has never showed signs of gumming up or behaving adversely. This oil is added solvents to help dissolve and clean out gummed up parts; maybe that's why this has such a good effect on older machines.

I have to admit, I have used all kinds of spray can oils, including WD40 and never had any major problems; they are all very similar; dissolve and flush out old grime rather well. What they don't to is lubricate the way thicker oils does, and don't lessen friction like basic sewing machine oil does. They dry up quickly too, leave parts dry. I don't use them that much anymore; maybe in a case of very grimey internals in machine, mostly a good oil will do the same job given a bit more time.

I like Finish Line Ceramic wet lube too; it has to be the transparent bottle with the gold cap, the others are way too thick, with additves to make them stand up to harsh out door conditions. From the info I have Finish Line Ceramic Wet Lube is a synthetic oil of petroleum origin. It's a pure oil, very light flowing, with added (accoring to description) nano particle teflon and boron nitride. It has superb specs when it comes to penetration and reducing friction and works very well on sewing machines. Left long enough to dry up, it will not gum up parts more than the basic sewing machine oil; which meas very little problems decades down the road.

Most oils are added various stustances to increase perfomance under specific conditions, few of these apply to sewing machines, and very few oils actually offer any improvement on the basic sewing machine oil. I think Triflow and Finish Line Ceramic Wet Lube does, like mentioned, they have very good specs compared to other oils, and the additives they have work well for sewing machines. My 201 runs a few notches moother with Finish Line Ceramic oil, I think it's the teflon :- )