View Single Post
Old 08-17-2016, 03:22 PM
Prism99
Power Poster

You might want to consider turned edge machine applique as an in-between choice -- much faster than hand applique but a little more time-intensive than fusible. My preferred technique is freezer paper applique (as described by Harriet Hargrave in her books). Instead of glue stick, I like to use paste and my finger (much faster for me). To remove the paper after appliqueing, I cut out the backing 1/4" away from the stitching (pretty fast and easy to do because the freezer paper protects the appliques and the background fabric is "pinchable" for a scissor cut). Then I place the top wrong side up on my kitchen island and use a small brush to apply water around the applique seams to soften up the glue. After about ten minutes of softening, it is very easy to remove the paper.

Anyway, if I were making this quilt for myself, freezer paper machine applique would be the way I would do it. I much prefer the almost-invisible machine applique stitch to satin stitching, and it looks almost identical to hand applique. I have other tips I can offer if you are interested in this technique. You would definitely want to try it out for yourself on a few blocks before offering to make an entire quilt this way.