View Single Post
Old 08-17-2016, 04:59 PM
Bree123

Well, sort of. Partly, it depends on how many stitches per inch you get with your hand applique and how many snips you make into the seam allowance (if any) and where you make those snips.

Before I took up needle turn, I used to hand stitch fused applique with a scant 1/8" blanket stitch using 50wt cotton thread. I've done it with windowed & non-windowed WonderUnder (although I now prefer MistyFuse if it absolutely has to be fused). I make baby quilts & instruct parents to wash in cold water, gentle/handwash cycle with a dye-free detergent, and then to tumble dry on low heat no more than once a week & to vacuum in between or spot clean if needed.

Needle turn is certainly the gold standard for applique, but many people prefer to spend less per quilt & be able to buy a new one when they redecorate. Needle turn will produce a softer, more consistent result. It will easily last for 50 years with once a week washings (that number is based on using quality cotton fabric -- which I have no doubt you use -- and quilting at 1" spacing).
When you add in fusible & only a partially enclosed edge (stitching only), even under the best conditions, I told clients it will shed some -- that if it starts to shed more to let me know & I will trim the fuzzies for them or take care of any mending -- the oldest are only 3 years old, but so far I haven't had any takers - but there a few threads do occasionally work loose; generally, they could expect it to last 10-15 years (quality fabric & up to 3" spacing).
Turned edge blanket stitch applique I tell them should last 20 years with once weekly washings. I agree with Prism, that machine stitched turned edge applique would generally be much faster. I set the fold lines for my turned edges, remove the freezer paper & then put a few dabs of glue to hold it. The other super easy option is to get some of that Ricky Tims Stable Stuff Poly. It dissolves into tiny fiber particles when the quilt is washed so the final product is soft like needle turn. I've seen this & it looks pretty nice. It's what I plan to try if I ever do turned edge applique again in the future. Some of the gals who've invited me to work on charity quilts use the Stable Stuff Poly & I must say that it really does seem to be an ideal option for that application because I detest satin stitching & could just use a basic blanket stitch to secure the edges with SSP (quality fabric & up to 2" spacing) -- our charity is a children's hospital that requires all stitching & quilting be done 100% by machine because it's more likely to produce consistently small & even stitches that hold up well in the wash.

PS -- Certainly, with fewer washings and/or if the person chooses to wash by hand or lie flat to dry, or even better, uses that special soap that Elaine Burns recommends (Orvus), and if the quilt is layered with other quilts on the bed and rotated as to which is on top, the fabric & thread could easy last for twice as long with zero issues. But I'm also a realist -- and what parent of a newborn is going to do all that crazy stuff. They wash everything with Tide Free Cold Water & put all their little one's clothes & bedding in on the gentle cycle. It's a small sacrifice to ask them to dry it on Low heat, but at the end of the day the fact that I'm only asking that one thing of them is reasonably well received. On the flip side, if the wash in hot water, regular cycle & dry on high heat, your best bet is to use non-windowed fusible & to stitch as densely as possible (satin stitching & quilting lines at no more than 1" spacing with a 2.25" stitch length) -- and, of course, to pre-wash everything in those same conditions before beginning construction. Fusible actually will limit shrinkage -- as will very dense stitching & quilting.

Last edited by Bree123; 08-17-2016 at 05:09 PM.