View Single Post
Old 08-17-2016, 06:10 PM
alisonquilts

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
You might want to consider turned edge machine applique as an in-between choice -- much faster than hand applique but a little more time-intensive than fusible.
An excellent suggestion, and one I will experiment with. My only reservation about this is my relative inexperience with it - done lots of the other two types!

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
I don't understand why you think a satin stitched applique will not hold up as well as hand applique? The people I know who do hand applique always seem to ( protect) those quilts / recommend little use/ laundering. I don't do satin stitch applique, really don't like that heavy, stiff edge on everything ( that's just me) but I do a Ton of fusible machine applique. I finish my pieces with a small machine blanket stitch, quilts have been laundered , used for years and held up well.
Not sure why, but I have had some edges fray despite the satin stitch (probably some error on my part). I'm not keen on the heavy edge of satin stitch either, which is why I tend to go with needle turn. Plus I really enjoy hand sewing!

Originally Posted by Bree123 View Post
Well, sort of. Partly, it depends on how many stitches per inch you get with your hand applique and how many snips you make into the seam allowance (if any) and where you make those snips....
Also an excellent point, Bree! Thanks so much for your insightful and comprehensive answer. It will be a queen bed quilt for adults, so I don't think it will need washing very frequently, and I have already told them of the perils of frequent washing and direct sunlight! The design is intricate enough that folding edges will be difficult (many many tight bits) but that also is part of what makes me nervous about doing fusible with anything less than satin stitch: narrow stems with vast amounts of edge... I think a folded edge with a straight machine stitch along the very edge might actually be a good possibility too, especially as there will be embellishing with embroidery after all the big stuff is done.

I do all of my sewing on an ancient Kenmore, and I don't even have blanket stitch, which influences how I do applique as well.

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
i think you are doing them a big favor n telling them. Let them decide what they prefer, then it's out of your hands. if you do needleturn, you better get some big bucks for your time.
Thanks Lynnie! Yeah, I am quoting them three different labor possibilities (all machine, machine app and hand quilting, all hand) and the "all hand" is more than double the "all machine" option!

I appreciate all the answers, and the suggestions.

Alison