View Single Post
Old 08-17-2016, 06:59 PM
alisonquilts

Originally Posted by Bree123 View Post
A straight stitch will definitely fray more than a zig-zag/satin stitch.

Another option you can give your client is Fray Block. Yes, it dries just a little stiff, but it's not bad & it helps a LOT with fraying. If you have any pieces -- especially small or narrow pieces -- that are cut on SOG, I would strongly consider this for any true raw edge applique (straight stitch only) or you will end up with a furry edge after just a couple times through the wash. Of course, some people love the furry edges so maybe that isn't even an issue, but if she isn't one of those people, Fray Block is a great tool to have on hand (Fray Check dries much stiffer than Fray Block). With enough exposure to the sun, it can change from clear to yellowish, but that's the only issue. It washes well & is virtually invisible.
Oh, I didn't mean I would use a straight stitch to finish a raw edge! No, I was thinking I could do the turned under edge and then straight stitch along just in from the fold, catching both layers of fabric. I could fuse it down that way too - best of both worlds. I've done a version of this for labels many times: fuse the center of the label down but hand applique the edges - looks nice and tidy and will stay on well for years. If they decide on this "hybrid" approach I could use monofilament (since it is for adults) and the stitching would disappear...

Thanks for the Fray Block tip! If I ever venture into the world of raw edge I'll be sure to keep it in mind.

Alison