View Single Post
Old 08-18-2016, 08:35 PM
Tothill

What is it about grand and great grand parents and stills during prohibition? My grandmother did not have a still that we know of, but she could make wine out of just about anything. Turnips, elder berries, and more.

Mar-mar, was given a ticket on the beach in Toronto in the late 1920's. Her swim suit did not have a skirt on it and was considered to be scandalous. Before she came to Canada, she swam with the men's swim team in New Zealand, as there was no competition for her on the ladies team. Her husband died before I was born. A year after she died, we learned that my grandfather (who had been dead about 20 years) was a bigamist. He had at least two families in the UK and there are no records of any divorces. Dad who was raised as an only child, by immigrant parents, discovered he had two sisters and a brother, when he was 54.

My other grandmother raised 4 kids in the depression. She lived near vegetable farms and would steal veggies to feed her family. She did not have room for a garden where they lived.

My great grandmother married a man 22 years her senior when she was 18. She had five kids and was widowed before they all finished school. She raised rabbits for meat and Silver Foxes for fur. The foxes ate the rabbits too. She was an early ham radio operator and taught many people to use the radios. Her husband, while he lived was the secretary to the Lieutenant Governor of BC. The LG is the Queens (or back them Kings) representative to the Province. My granny grew up on the grounds of Government House.

My great grandmother's twin sister moved to South Africa, she wanted to be a doctor and it was easier at the time for a woman to become a doctor there than in Canada. Some of the South African family came to Canada when my Mum was a girl. It was quite the cultural shock, the SA family had servants back home, and did not know how to do the most basic chores.

My 3X Great Grandfather was the first Attorney General of BC.

What will my grand and great grand kids say about me? I have gone back to university at 50, so I hope that leads to good things in the future.