Thread: Glide thread?
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2016, 05:39 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Filtec usually has a booth at the bigger shows, especially machine quilting shows.

I use their magnaglide prewounds quite a bit and love their thread. So I place a large order with them about once a year. I have no trouble fulfilling the $100 minimum and have had an account with them since I got my longarm.

For Grammy of 6, Glide thread is a trilobal polyester thread (very similar to Superior's Magnifico). Their initial marketing push was for embroiderers. But then a couple of big names in the quilting world discovered the thread, Karen McTavish and another, can't remember her name. It was probably the best thing that ever happened to their business when they partnered with Karen. Their business took off like a rocket. Word quickly spread in the longarming world about this beautiful, shiny, colorful thread that was a 40 weight but quilted out like a finer 60 weight. Strength plus beauty! Then we discovered how the magnaglide bobbins eliminated a world of tension problems. Most people are converts once they use it. Some don't like it and have had problems with it. I am not one of them and 90% of my quilting is done with Glide and pretty much 100% is done with magnaglide bobbins.

Edited to add, if you think you will use it for quilting it is a great investment to purchase one of their color cards which is made with actual samples of the thread. I would be lost without mine.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 08-20-2016 at 05:41 AM.