View Single Post
Old 08-23-2016, 04:33 AM
azwendyg

Default Fun with Templates & Rulers--on a DSM!

Hello All! I've been MIA from this board for quite awhile, but just had to come back and share this with you.

Last spring I bought a starter set of Sew Steady Westalee templates and rulers along with a ruler foot to fit my domestic machine from my LQS. The guys there are so funny; whenever they get something new in, they tell me "We got something you need..." I had never seen these, but the clamshell template really caught my interest. I've been trying to do consistent clamshells for a long time and have never been really satisfied with them.

These are some of the sample pieces I did to try them out, and I'm having so much fun playing with them!

Here's the first one; it's just a little larger than placemat size. This is actually the 2nd piece I did with these rulers. The first one had more free motion elements in it. This does have some echoing and some small fill between the parallel lines that is free motion, but for the most part it is done using the rulers from the sampler set.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]556602[/ATTACH]

Here are a few smaller sample pieces using some of the templates; the large rotating arc, a 2" clamshell, circles and the straight ruler.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]556603[/ATTACH]

These next two are placemats.
On the orange one, I use the little straight ruler, the small arc, and one of the "Spin E Fex" rotating templates.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]556604[/ATTACH]

The purple one is done with the feather template and the straight/arc ruler.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]556605[/ATTACH]

These templates & rulers are a little pricey, but they sure are fun and it doesn't take very long to learn to use them if you have a little free motion quilting skill. The ruler foot comes in a few different versions so you can get one to fit most any brand domestic machine, so if you decide to try these, be sure to get the one that's right for yours.

*No, I am not in any way affiliated with the company that makes these, just having a ton of fun with them. I started learning to FMQ about 6 years ago, and you can find my earlier posts on this board, as this is really where I came for a lot of advice and encouragement when I started out. I have become a passionate (read "obsessed") hobby quilter, in part because of all the help from members of this board!

Wendy G
Attached Thumbnails bluetemplates.jpg   bluegreentemplate.jpg   orangetemplates.jpg   purpletemplate.jpg