View Single Post
Old 08-23-2016, 10:49 AM
Jane Quilter

Originally Posted by Jeanette Frantz View Post
I have found a LOT OF RED FABRICS will bleed rivers! Cold water will not "set" the dye. I found a product online, Rit Laundry Treatment a dye fixative) and I swear by it. I ALWAYS CHECK FABRIC, particularly those with vibrant colors. I've even had some deep blues also bleed. I ALWAYS WASH MY FABRIC, and check for bleeding BEFORE I cut out my quilt. Granted, I am a "Rank Amateur", but I found this out, thanks to my cousin who has a quilt shop and carries quilting fabrics. So, if I'm using a red (which I'm making a red and white quilt right now) I automatically treat the fabric with the Rit Dye Fixative product, and, since discretion is the better part of valor, I will also use color catchers when I wash this one (I'm finally doing a quilt for myself).

Jeanette
I have both products you mention. The quilt is so big (125" x 125") it won't fit in the washer. In which order to you recommend. The color catcher first, then the Ritz? All this srubbing (with warm wwater) has bleed some red, but not much....I can live with the red bleed, just not the blue bleed. But I am almost done. Shall I soak it in the bathtub? If so, again in what order? Thanks for you help.