View Single Post
Old 08-25-2016, 05:54 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
Without someone piecing it, the long armer would have nothing to quilt.
Except for whole cloth quilts, of course. No piecing involved in those. Or "cheater" quilts like panels or a fabulous fabric that can stand on it's own, like this one Charisma did several years ago http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...a-t202692.html . But I do agree that it is a two way street. I know I would not have gotten near as proficient as I am at longarming if people did not entrust me with their tops. With each one I gained experience and sharpened skills.

TCHK, welcome to the board. Many quilters send their quilts out for quilting, some lovingly refer to it as "quilting by checkbook". Some people don't like that part of the process at all but really enjoy creating tops. There is nothing wrong with that and they are still quilters in every sense of the word. Some people aren't physically able to man-handle an oversized quilt through their machine but will happily do smaller things like baby, toddler, lap quilts, wallhangings or other smalls like table runners. Some quilters may have been quite proficient in all aspects of quilting in their lives but age or illness or physical limitations prevent them from making the sandwich or hand quilting but they are still able to piece. And some do all their quilting but have made a masterpiece of a top and have a vision for the quilting they know they can't execute but know a skilled longarmer can. Its all good we are all quilters.