View Single Post
Old 08-26-2016, 02:12 PM
glassbird

I recently did a whole slew of test pieces, specifically searching for a batting that does NOT crinkle after washing. I do not like the look...maybe a LITTLE crinkle, but not much. I am gearing up to do a quilt made specifically to go on a four poster bed that has been in my mother's family since the Civil War. (It was bought second hand, so it is even older than that, but we don't know by how much.) The poor thing has never had a proper cover that FITS, because it is a non-standard size AND has those posts, which means that a normal bedspread has to be bunched up to go around the posts. (And yes, I know the crinkled look would be more "correct" for an antique style quilt, especially since I am using all reproduction fabrics, but I don't like the look!)

Which is my long-winded way of saying that I have tried Green Dream, on a limited basis, in one of those test samples. It was only washed, and then hung to dry, so I can't speak to how a drier will affect things. (I don't have a drier.) But I can say that it shows NO sign of crinkle at all after one wash in a front loader with a pile of towels and other test sandwiches. I intend to wash it again soon, and put it in a relative's drier to further the test.

I went on to use it in several QAYG blocks (for a different quilt, not the one for the four poster) and I can say that it quilts nicely. My personal wish is that it be thicker. I am considering doubling it up when I start doing the actual quilt. (Hmmm...maybe I should test that first....)