View Single Post
Old 08-27-2016, 03:47 PM
HouseDragon

Originally Posted by Genden View Post
I began quilting when a " real quilter" hand pieced the quilt top. In addition, "a real quilter" hand quilted the quilt. So much for someone's rules. Quilting has enough parts for everyone. Each part of the quilting process is quilting, requiring creativity and skill. I have seen many changes and innovations in quilting--art quilts, quilt painting, embellishments, machine quilting, etc. Every part of quilting is quilting. Back to the original topic of giving credit at a quilt show. It does seem appropriate that anyone involved in the process of creating a quilt, beginning with pieces of fabric, thread and batting, should receive credit for their part.
There's a particular fabric designer I won't mention and I definitely don't buy her designs after she threatened to sue a quiltmaker for daring to use her fabric (among others) that was showcased on a magazine cover. I thought fabric was meant to be used in quilts. Apparently not, according to some people.

With that said, how in the world could I be expected to list every fabric designer on a label (or show form) for a log cabin quilt I made with over 140 different fabrics in light and dark pinks to reds? Most of the fabrics were fat quarters bought over an eight year time period and without an "ID" on the selvedge edges.

Same with thread.

OTOH, it's common courtesy to list the pattern designer and the quilter if it's different from the piecer.

JMNSHO.