View Single Post
Old 01-30-2010, 07:22 AM
Judi in Ohio

Originally Posted by ladygen
That's how I felt not too long ago (a year, maybe?), and BOY oh boy have I got a stash started already! Not enough to make a whole quilt out of, as the fabrics just don't go together (even though there's enough to make at least three or four or more that don't go together)... but definitely enough to have fun looking at!
Fabrics are supposed to go together????? lol
I love log cabins and when doing a scrappy log cabin block, my first instructions said to have three paper bags full of scraps - light - medium - dark. You start with your center and then a light, then pull a medium, etc, and you sew whatever you pull out. The logic here (I think) is if it is scrappy it's going to end up somewhere you hadn't planned anyway. I can't actually do that, I do sort of judge my colors, but I have certainly branched out since I got on Quiltville. Now those are scrappy, beautiful quilts. I am the swap hostess of unwashed fabrics at Quiltville swap (we do have a washed hostess also). This month we are doing Chunky Churndash (on Bonnies site) and I love making these cute little blocks, and I got to pick & chose even tho they are scrappy. I made 11 sets (5 different blocks count as a set) and all are different (I made 2 of each, one for me to keep). So when I swap for the other swappers blocks I will have all different blocks in this quilt. This quilt also has a 2 fabric hour glass block to set it and I ran out of fabric - OMG - luckily I found more and ordered it.
Judi