Old 01-30-2010, 07:39 AM
Feathers

Hi Everyone: I'm seeing more and more people on the board speaking of their work with animal rescue so thought I'd start a thread here on the board just for that topic, Animal Rescue and related things. I'll start with my story:
My DH and I have fostered kitties for our no kill shelter for about 7 years...the first year or two were maybe one or two kitties a year but now we're fostering all the time. So far we've cared for more than 80 kitties who were in need of medical treatments, bottle feeding, socialization and just love and a back or chin rub. We've had a few dogs in these years but now we're doing only kitties because it's sometimes hard to integrate kitties and dogs into the family without constant worries. Our shelter has as many as 70 or 80 kitties in care at a time. The most we've ever had in our home at one time was a mom with 4 tiny kittens who then took on 4 more unrelated kitties to nurse back to health. They were all adopted and we still hear from the adoptive families and get pictures...actually, about 80% of the adoptions of our foster kitties keep in touch with us via e-mail so we know what our babies are doing and see their pictures now and then. We cry for days when we have to send them to their forever homes but know they are the lucky ones...they get a home! The kitten in my Avatar was only 2 days old when we got her. She and her brother were born to a dumped mamma who was sick and couldn't nurse them. Brother died the day he was born but Patience (named because she has no other patience in her repatoire of tricks) thrived and is an absolute joy. We call her Jumping Judy alot because she spends more time in the air than on the floor. She loves to play with her toys and our big kitties but her favorite toy is my husband. He speaks, she comes running! My DH tells everyone he's been trying to train me to come running whenever he speaks but it's not happening so he appreciates his voice power over the kitty. :lol:

Tell us your story.