View Single Post
Old 01-30-2010, 07:48 AM
Judi in Ohio

Originally Posted by A1penny
HI FROM A LONG TIME AND BIG STASH QUILTER!
Don't buy too much fabric when you first start, your taste will change as you see more fabric, and get better and better. Finally you'll say when you look at your first fabric purchases....."what was I thinking?" I do think that what you are doing in only buying small quantities is a great idea. I have had to give away so many of the fabrics I first thought were so wonderful.........! You will find that different thread counts make a difference in the fabric finish, the type of dying, etc.
But have FUN and learn about fabric as you go along and discover your favorite fabric companies and types of fabric!
One thing I had problems with is making myself use a beautiful fabric that I think is too good to cut up! What has helped me get over that is that my best friend and quilting partner died with all her beautiful fabric left......I cleaned out her studio and have all her glorious fabric that she was too afraid to actually use! I realize I don't want to die and not have used all her, and my wonderful fabric in a quilt that would be loved by a relative or friend. If you buy it......use it!
Penny this is certainly a story to share. Since I am an over the top kind of person anyway, I always have more fabric and sewing machines than 5 people need, but.....it keeps me off the streets. lol I use my machines, my fabrics and enjoy them so much.
One thing about fabrics I'd like to share. I know many people buy from JoAnn's, Hancocks, Hobby Lobby - everyone wants a bargain. But much of this fabric is not as good as Quilt shop fabrics. Now you do not have to spend $9-10 dollars a yard to get great fabric. There are many sites and ebay stores that sell top fabrics for as little as $2.99 a yard. Not sure if I should post them - if it's ok I will. Order some of these and compare to the JoAnn's - there is a huge difference - the thread count is not the same, they don't hold the dye the same. I"m not saying all the fabric is like that, but you have to be choosy. One of my first quilts was a foundation pieced pineapple block - purple & green. Most of my fabrics were quilt shop, but I have borders done in a fabric I found at JoAnn's. It was perfect, but I swear I can watch that fabric fade as my top stays bright. You know ladies, these quilts are our legacies. With our quilt labels (hopefully) our family and friends will see our work long after we are gone. It's how some of us will be remembered. I do spread my quilts around - nieces, babies, grand kids, friends, charity. Hopefully they will be loved for a long time. I certainly loved sewing them.
Sorry for being so windy, but I too bought lots of JoAnn's & others, that I ended up gifting to someone. Maybe I'll save someone some $$$ in the long run.
Judi