View Single Post
Old 08-29-2016, 12:58 PM
Tothill

My granny used laundry blueing in her white hair, because she was a smoker and the smoke would stain her hair a yellowish shade at the front, that did not look nice (think tobacco stains on fingers or walls).

At 50, I generally have may hair professionally coloured 3-4 times a year. It is my one vanity. I am a natural red head and when Franny colours my hair she uses 4-5 different shades of red (she uses foils) , sometimes with a purple or blond thrown in for good measure. I get lots of compliments on my hair colour. It does look dyed, but that is ok by me.

I have very thick wavy hair, cut short and it naturally stands up, which effectively hides the roots for quite awhile.

In between salon colouring, or if I cannot afford the salon, I will dye at home. I use L'Oréal products and even with short hair, usually have to buy two boxes to fully cover my thick hair.

I am not ready to let it go grey yet. I know that near my ears it is white, but ther is lots of colour left every where else.

Originally Posted by JuneBillie View Post
I remember my grandma on my dad's side use to get her hair done and colored with a simple rinse every week by this lady who did this back then with a blue type light color that covered the yellow in my grandma's gray. My grandma loved it. All she cared about was to not have any yellow in her hair. I think it's amusing though, because isn't yellow to some extent what is in blonde? And then today we wonder what looks acceptable with all the kids and even some older that have the striking blue, green, blood red hair etc.

The reason I like mine on the dark auburn side is I have olive type skin so it suits me.