Old 09-01-2016, 08:03 AM
rryder

Every now and then I get on a kick where I decide I want to spend my time improving my piecing skills and accuracy, so I'll pull out some difficult or technically challenging blocks to work on. But for the most part, I would rather work improvisationally as I get more enjoyment out of quilting when I take that path and I think I have had more "breakthroughs" in my development as a quilter when I follow the path I enjoy the most than I have had when I try to work on things I think I "ought" to do. That said, there are times when I needed to have those piecing skills that I didn't really enjoy working on in order to solve a quilting problem I was working on. Sometimes there is a skill that I need to work on before I can move a quilt forward, at which time my motivation to get the quilt done will trump my lack of enthusiasm for that particular skill set.

All of which is a long way of saying that we all approach quilting from different perspectives and with different goals in mind and It depends on what you want to get out of your quilting. If you want to continually push yourself to try new things, then maybe figuring out what it is that you don't like about scrappy is worth while. On the other hand, if you would rather spend your time enjoying the process of making a quilt and it stresses you out to deal with scrappiness, then don't, there's nothing wrong with quilting for the pleasure and enjoyment of creating something that pleases you, just as there is nothing wrong with taking an experimental approach. There's plenty of fabric and quilting to go around, what we are all in short supply of is time--

Rob

<object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="SILOBFWOBJECTID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object>