Thread: Am I crazy?
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2016, 06:22 AM
Bree123

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
Not all wool battings are washable, so it might not be a quality issue. I recall someone describing the Hobb's Tuscany wool batting dissolving in the way you describe, when washed (but that was a test wash of the batting itself, when not incorporated into a quilt). But the longarmer should have mentioned if it was not a washable wool. I agree, definitely tell her what happened.
I completely agree. In some markets, it is more important to customers that they get the least expensive batting than that the batting is high enough quality to withstand the rigors of washing & daily use. For future reference, the type of batting, type/color/weight of thread & quilting design should all be agreed to in writing before the LA begins her work. If that was done & the batting she used should have been washable, I would contact her first & if unresolved, contact the batting company. As long as you abided by the recommended washing instructions, they should stand behind their product & offer you a free replacement batt.

As for the stitching, I would rip it out & re-quilt it (with Hobb's Heirloom wool).