Thread: Am I crazy?
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2016, 09:05 AM
Peckish

Originally Posted by luvspaper View Post
I know there is a way to skin from the back with a rotary cutter. I've not tried it though.
I've done it several times, not with a rotary cutter though. I do contract work for a local LAer and when she first started her business, she had a few easy-to-make mistakes. I've frogged a couple of quilts for her, and a few for friends and others.

I found the fastest and easiest way FOR ME was to use a box knife type of blade and, working from the back, pull the backing away from the batting to expose the threads, and just touch the thread. When the blade is sharp, the threads just melt away. The blade doesn't get anywhere near the top, and I've never had any accidents. It goes pretty fast. I frogged a queen size quilt in one afternoon. The down side is you end up with a thousand tiny pieces of thread all over the top. I usually use a lint roller, which works great unless it's a flannel quilt. I won't use this technique on flannel. When I find myself using any kind of pressure on the blade to push it through the thread, it's time to use the other end of the blade, or get a new one.

I found the most comfortable spot was at my dining room table, with good lighting, cheater glasses, an extra foam pad for my southern end, and my laptop playing something on Netflix that I can listen to but not watch, such as a movie I've already seen, or a documentary.