View Single Post
Old 09-02-2016, 09:08 AM
sharin'Sharon

As for sewing two blocks together that will not be 'cut' apart (ex. sewing a vertical row of blocks together), I only backstitch at the beginning and the end of the entire row. As for sewing strips together that will then be subcut, I avoid at all costs. I learned my lesson when making a rail fence quilt that by the time I was to sew all the subcut 6" blocks together, the stitches started to come apart and I had to go back and backstitch all the beginning and ending of all the rail fence seams of the blocks before I could sew them 'altogether'. I did use a short stitch (no help). I am not in favor of assembly line sewing in some cases. My friends' sister made each of her twin grandchildren a quilt and DIDN'T backstitch the beginning and ends of the block seams (because, as she thought, another row of stitches would cross over it and secure it). When one twin forgot his quilt at home and tugged at the quilt to take it away from the other, my friend found she was 'repairing' the seams because they 'WEREN'T' secure. Most of you won't agree with me because it takes more time to do it MY way, but I want the quilt to hold together and I don't feel that just because seams are crossed makes them secure. I know it's popular with EB, but I'll continue doing it the time consuming way.

Last edited by sharin'Sharon; 09-02-2016 at 09:09 AM. Reason: finished a sentence.