Thread: Am I crazy?
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2016, 05:10 AM
maviskw

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I found the fastest and easiest way FOR ME was to use a box knife type of blade and, working from the back, pull the backing away from the batting to expose the threads, and just touch the thread. . It goes pretty fast. The down side is you end up with a thousand tiny pieces of thread all over the top. When I find myself using any kind of pressure on the blade to push it through the thread, it's time to use the other end of the blade, or get a new one.
Another way to rip out all that quilting.
I've done this. Having three hands really works well. I put one end under the needle of the sewing machine, in this case it would be the top, lower the needle so it holds onto that fabric, lift the back and slice with a scalpel type seam ripper. Pull gently on the back as you slice down on any threads that are tight. It's surprising that it cuts only the threads and not the fabric.

I did this as a demo at our meeting, and used a clamp to hold the top to the edge of the table. And doing it this way, those thousand threads are longer and are easier to pick up.