Old 09-03-2016, 08:51 AM
klswift

This explains the difference in production of the fabrics. But, one of the comments often made on this site is that there are 2 'levels' of the same fabric. This is not true. A company, such as Moda, would not produce 2 versions of the same fabric. It would hurt their product name. They may create 2 different types of fabric, a Premium version and a 'regular' version. An incredibly simplistic way to tell would be the price. At the chain stores the 'regular' fabric would price point at $4.99 - $8.99 (usually). The Premium fabric will start at $10.99. Even within the regular fabrics, you can feel the range of quality. It all depends on the vendor producing it. Trust your hands, feel the fabric, gently pull it in both directions, crumple a corner and see its pop back. Depending on the blocks you are making and the purpose of the finished product (and your budget) will determine what fabric you purchase. I often buy a premium fabric as my main focus fabric and 'regular' fabrics to compliment it. This balances the costs. I would love to only buy premium fabrics, but that makes a large quilt cost prohibitive.