Old 09-03-2016, 05:37 PM
zozee

For color knowledge, google "color wheel." Colors next to each other (called analogous) look good together. Colors across from each other (complementary) do as well. Warm colors (colors of fire--red, yellow, orange) don't usually blend with cool (blue, green, purple) except fall colors against a blue sky! There are no hard and fast rules, but you will find yourself drawn to certain colors and shades. I personally am like you in that I need some solids in all my quilts. I don't think some of the modern "collections" necessarily "go together", but apparently the market says differently. I find too many prints side by side are chaos and I just want to tame the beast! So I do. One thing I heard recently on Fons and Porter , when you're auditioning a bunch of fabrics and aren't sure about one, ask yourself, "do I like this stack better with this one gone?" You'll soon learn to trust your instincts. It's very personal. There are some things I will probably never do--a postage stamp quilt with 1.5 " squares, a bargello, a wedding ring. They simply don't "float my boat" enough to invest the time.