Old 09-04-2016, 01:19 PM
costumegirl

I am slowly working through the piles and piles of sewing "stuff" that has accumulated in our basement and I am hoping that by the end of Fall I will have a nice space to actually work in.

Problem #1- Right now I use the dining room to sew in because it has wonderful light and the large table but I am always dismantling eveything and stuffing into bins becuse the dining room is used at least twice a week for dinners with our senior relatives or when family comes for visits (about every other weekend). Our kids and siblings have moved to the "big city" 4 hrs away and we are the "Inn" with the "Revolving Door". The 2 spare bedrooms are not an option to use because we are the ones still living in town that family comes back to stay with when they are here.

It would be terrfic to have a space where I can just leave everything out, waiting for me to come back to it. It is frustrating looking in the bins to find my stuff to catch a bit of sewing time.

Problem #2 - OMG there is sooooo much to go through!! Not only do I have the things that I have purchased after 40 years of sewing/quilting but I have also inherited a "life time" of sewing stuff from my Mom and 4 Aunts when they moved out of their homes into retirement or nursing homes. Should have done some sorting all along but we have moved 4 relatives out of their homes each summer - one each summer for the past 4 years and I just haven't had time or energy and now I am drowning in "stuff"!

Solution - Ok I know some of "the stuff" has to go and I already have most of the good cottons sorted in bins according to colour and type of fabric. I love bins of all sizes and they seem to be so helpful for storage. I will downsize this more in a few months.

Goal for this week - I am sorting through miscellaneous "sewing" fabric that I will be donating to a charity group that makes dresses for girls in Central America and Africa - it will be a win-win situation and I think there will be a few fabric filled boxes to go along with lots of zippers and a variety of snaps.

Also, I am going to try to begin to organize the boxes of sewing machine attachments that I have inherited. Some go with the machines that I was given and some were just random boxes of parts that was mixed in with the sewing stuff when the moves occurred.

Thanks so much for posting a "Goal of the Week" thread!!! I am determined to get through this even though it could take many hours so that I can have a space to call my own!