View Single Post
Old 09-05-2016, 05:54 PM
nanacc

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
Nanacc, the quilt is often called Helix, you might google that. I admit I don't remember where I saw it first.
I never use a pattern, just look at a quilt and either think it out (as this one) or draw it out and write a "recipe" for the finished size I want it to be.

It's very simple, just 48 half-square triangles;you'll notice there are two of each in my quilt (maybe less one whose size was wonky so I made another from 2 triangle scraps). I think mine finished about 5.5" square before sewing into the quilt. Therefore, I used 5-6" wide borders to enlarge and 'float' the center design.

Right now I am purposely working on very simple shapes/blocks so that I can get a top finished quickly -- a reward for getting back to work! Also, it is helping me get the "feel" for the technicalities of piecing again; I had lost a bit of muscle memory for it over these last many months and found matching seams, strip cutting, strip piecing, and even squaring up a bit rusty at first. I'm a meticulous piecer, but I work fairly quickly, too. The ONE thing that came back, or never went, was my love of pulling fabric for a quilt; it's probably my favorite part!

Jan in VA
Thank you for your generous information....As usual! I just didn't want to copy something and step on a designer's toes! A lot of my quilts are done just as you said, by thinking it out and drawing a graph. Will be happy when I get my EQ program back up and running after a computer crash!