View Single Post
Old 09-06-2016, 03:01 AM
bneuen

Originally Posted by Innov8R
My all-time favorite quote is one from George Bernard Shaw. It is a bit long. but I want to share it anyway.

"This is the true joy of life...being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one...being a force of nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy...I am of the opinion that my life belongs to the whole community and as long as I live it is my privilege to do for it whatever I can. I want to be thoroughly used up when I die. For the harder I work the more I live. I rejoice in life for its own sake. Life is no brief candle for me. It's a sort of splendid torch which I've got to hold up for the moment and I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing on to future generations."

This has served as life model for me. So much so that one of my students cross stitched the " I want to be thoroughly used up when I die" quote for my office when I was teaching.
I just lost a life time friend and this soooo sums up her life. She lived life to the fullest and loved many. My life is forever blessed by great memories of a great friend.