View Single Post
Old 01-30-2010, 12:22 PM
butterflywing

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
Originally Posted by Damkina
I used to use poly batting, and still do like the feel of it. But once I've used up what I have, will probably only use warm and natural for one simple reason...

I've found that the cotton batting seems to have less chance of moving/slipping as I'm pinning and basting. I don't know if I'm not pinning careful enough, but the quilt top and backing seem to stick to it better.
I've switched to using cotton batting most of the time for the same reason Damkina did.

Polyester batting is definitely less expensive. I think it's easier to hand-quilt, too. I also don't have a lot of success using spray basting on poly batting. So, if i really need to cut down the cost of a project or i want to hand-quilt i use poly. I just have to force myself to do a lot more basting.

When I'm really squeezing the pennies 'til they scream for mercy, i go to WalMart and buy the bargain brand blankets. a twin sells for less than $5. i toss it into the wash in hot water, then into the dryer on high. it's ready to go. they're too thick to hand-quilt easily, but they work and feel almost like cotton - except for the need to baste closely (like 2" apart with either pins or stitching.)
don't the blankets pill? i had some that did and then you could feel little, hard balls inside.