Old 09-07-2016, 07:17 PM
Just Jan

You are gonna love this machine! I paid $ 170 more for mine about a year and a half ago. No, the speed will not be too much for you because there is a lever on the side with a turtle and a rabbit that you use to set the speed faster or slower. Set it on turtle speed until you get used to it. What I don't like is the foot pedal. If you lean your heal back on it, it automatically cuts the thread. Its supposed to be something you get used to, but I never did. I found that if I turn/use the foot pedal backwards this does not happen. What I love- that NO other machine has- is a 1/5th" presser foot. It comes with the machine and its normal for us to gravitate to the quarter inch foot but don't overlook the 1/5" presser foot. It comes with the machine at no extra charge. It gives you a scant quarter inch seam which gives you that few threads difference when piecing blocks, so they come out to the exact size every time. I called Juki, and researched the internet to see if this foot is available for any other machine and its not. I even checked for one for my other Juki machine and its not made. Even a Juki dealer I spoke with said she is a long time quilter and owner of a 2010, and she didn't know about this foot! Be sure to read your manual and keep it handy, and there are tutorials online about threading this machine. Also be sure to read and follow the instructions about oiling your machine. Its a 'commercial' machine and you need to oil it regularly to keep it running in tip top shape. My other Juki does not require oiling. Besides my antique machines I have a Brother, a Singer, and a Juki Exceed HZL F300. I use my 2010 most. There is an excellent YouTube tutorial by Leah Day, "How to clean and oil your home sewing machine." Her machine is a Juki 2010 so I highly recommend you watch her video. You made a great choice and got a really good deal.