Old 09-08-2016, 12:17 PM
dunster
Power Poster

We used to have fresh water fish, many years ago. It started with a small (18 gallon?) tank in 1969, when we were living in Orange County. But then my DH got orders to Hawaii (he was in the Marine Corps) so we moved to Kaneohe, and the tank (but not the fish!) moved with us. The movers actually packed my bowling bowl INSIDE the fish tank, but somehow it didn't break. Once in Hawaii, the fish tank craze hit us really hard, and before we knew it there were about 30 fish tanks set up in our home in base housing, many of them 90 gallons or more. We even built a few tanks ourselves, with plywood and plexiglass. We spent weekends going around to fish stores all over the island, and also buying tanks and fish from people who were selling theirs. The work of keeping all those tanks clean was overwhelming, and thankfully we sold most of them before we had to return to California. After that we had a few tanks, but our willingness to spend the time to care for them just wasn't there, so we sold everything. Our older son had salt water aquariums for a while, but they are gone too.

When we had the multiple tanks set up we had lots of cichlid babies - mostly Jack Daniels, convicts, oscars, and Kribensis. It was hard to find homes for the young ones. Having a piece of slate, almost vertical, seemed to be their favorite place to lay eggs, and they needed places for the young to hide. Watching them was always interesting, and I miss that. Having fish is almost as addictive as quilting, but at least you can leave the quilting supplies alone with no worries while you go on vacation, and you don't come home to find that your favorite has somehow jumped out of the tank.