Old 09-10-2016, 02:04 PM
Prism99
Power Poster

I cannot do hand work anymore because of arthritis. My favorite method is invisible machine applique using freezer paper (self-taught from Harriet Hargrave's book). I've developed some shortcuts for myself over the years.

Instead of a glue stick, I like to use paste. It is much faster for me to run a paste-laden finger around the edge of the paper than trying to use a glue stick. Unfortunately, my favorite paste (Elmer's children's paste -- the kind we had in kindergarten that smells like peppermint) is no long made. I do have several old containers of it that I dilute with water to get to the right consistency, but I will have to do a lot of experimentation in the future to find something with a similar consistency.

To make cutting of the paper faster (when multiples are needed), I trace the pattern just once. Then I stack 5 or 6 layers of freezer paper on top of each other (cut larger than the pattern) with the traced pattern on top. I iron down the edges to keep the layers together. That way when I cut, I am cutting 5 or 6 pieces at a time. How many pieces I can layer depends on the intricacy of the shape; more intricate requires fewer layers for accuracy, but simple shapes can be cut with more layers.

An even faster way to cut freezer paper templates is to use my Accuquilt Go! I currently have a butterfly quilt in progress using the Accuquilt die. I found that for this method, I ***really*** like the Jensen freezer paper sheets. They are heavier than regular freezer paper and come flat, so they are very easy to run through the machine. I may switch to these sheets for my regular freezer paper cutting too. They are worth the extra money to me because I no longer have to struggle with curling sheets.

I have a quick way to remove the freezer paper too. After completing the quilt top, I turn it over and cut away the background fabric from the paper (this is pretty easy and fast because the freezer paper helps prevent me from cutting into the applique). Then I lay the top wrong side up on my kitchen island. Using a brush, I paint water on all the applique seams. The water softens the paste so that, after about 10 minutes, it is very easy to lift up the seams and remove the freezer paper.

I have tried different threads and different stitches for invisible machine applique, but I still prefer the YLI nylon monofilament thread I started out with years ago (shows less than any others I have tried, including Superior mono-poly) and the reversed blind hem stitch.