Thread: My bee quilt
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2016, 02:31 PM
carol45

Default My bee quilt

My modern quilt guild does something they call a Bee. Each Bee group has six members, and the Bee lasts for 6 months. Each month one of the members is the queen bee. That person can specify 2 blocks that she and everyone else in the group will make during that month. It can be very specific or very general. At the end of the month the queen bee will have 12 blocks to make a quilt from. In my Bee we were doing very large blocks, 18". I had the bright idea to have everyone applique a ring in a fall color on a blue background. I specified some limiting dimensions. I thought it would look cute, and I would add rings of my own after to have them all looping together to make probably a child's twin size quilt. When I got all my blocks together, my reaction was: " What was I thinking." Anyway I posted the picture below to this board and got a lot of great advice, and then together with some of my own ideas, I made a quilt!
So the photos below show the original blocks, and then my quilt. I kind of like it. I've never done such heavy quilting on a quilt, or made something so modern looking. The quilting in each block is done with a thread the color of the circle in that block. It's a twin size quilt.
Attached Thumbnails my-bee-blocks.jpg   circle-quit-c.jpg