Old 09-11-2016, 09:13 PM
Bree123

The closest you will get is with a high loft 100% polyester batting like Cloud Loft (http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/SHOP...-Quilt-Batting). It is 5/8" thick & can be quilted up to 6" apart. To maintain the puffiness, I would use a polyester thread & would quilt at 6".

You could create a test sandwich with 2 layers of CL batting held together with basting spray to see if you can fit that under your machine needle (or else, check with your LA to see if she can do it -- sorry, I know nothing about LA machines). If you have a high shank machine, you might be able to get away with putting a medium foot on it (I've seen Patsy Thompson do that on YouTube with a ruler foot) to be able to give yourself enough space. The 2 layers of CL would be roughly the equivalent of most commercial comforter/quilts, but the challenge is that they have special machines to quilt those. Even my old Singer 353 which sews though pretty much everything would struggle with 1.25" of batting, plus 2 layers of fabric. If you don't mind hand quilting, you could always work with a long quilting needle (like the kind ThimbleLady sells at her online store) and quilt it with Big Stitch quilting at 6" apart.

I would not recommend quilting that far apart for anything you hope to keep long-term. It will last fine for 5-6 years, but beyond that, the stitching will very likely start to pull & snap. Then, the poly batting will start to shift & bunch. For a quick little project that is primarily designed to serve as a utility quilt, 7+ years is a nice life. If you put a lot of work into the quilt top, I would probably pair that with a different batting & would quilt closer together.

Good luck! Please post pictures when you've finished!