View Single Post
Old 09-15-2016, 06:50 AM
rryder

It depends on what you mean by binding foot. If you're talking about those ones where you insert your binding into the foot and then it wraps it around the edges, my experience is that they don't handle the thickness of a double fold binding.

If you are talking about Martelli's binding system, then for me, yes, it was worth it since it allows me to get a binding onto a quilt very quickly.

The Martelli binding system which has two components- 1. a foot that has a moveable fence so you can get a really consistent seam allowance when you stitch the binding to the front and then when you flip the binding to the back you move the fence so you get a perfect stitch in the ditch on the front that catches the edge of the binding on the back. 2. a gizmo that holds the binding in the perfect spot on the back side so that when you stitch from the front you always (with practice) catch the binding at the same distance from the fold so it's nice and neat looking. I've done this method without the Martelli foot and other gizmo, but find that I can get a binding on a lot faster using those two tools.

If I were entering a quilt into a competition I would hand stitch the binding to the back rather than machine stitching it and in that case I probably wouldn't use the Martelli system.

Rob
<object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="SILOBFWOBJECTID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object>

Last edited by rryder; 09-15-2016 at 07:00 AM.