Old 01-30-2010, 05:21 PM
ai731

Originally Posted by Lockeb
Mamagus,
Our Walmarts here in Quebec have all but stopped carrying...almost nothing out - I went to Fabricville here on Sunday - FQ's are $4.99....there was a selection of fabrics at $10.00 - but not must you would want to bring home...the better cottons were all $15-18.00....the local quilt stores are all within that price and higher....
Yup, that's my experience shopping in the Montreal area too. I live near Cornwall, and usually shop in either Montreal or Ottawa (Montreal is way cheaper for most things!)

I've never tried to buy fabric in a Canadian Walmart, so I don't know what their prices are/were like. Our big chain fabric store is Fabricville (in Quebec) / Fabricland (in other parts of Canada), and they usually have a good selection of quilting fabric. Their prices can be high - $14 to $18/meter is what I usually see for good quality quilting fabric at Fabricville. I usually wait for their half-price sales, which they have quite often. I also like to go through their big remnants section, and I have sometimes found real gems for $5/meter. You need time and patience and strong arms, though, because all the bolts are just piled together!

My LQS, and all the LQS within an hour's drive of me, charge at least $15/meter.

$15 CAD is currently $14 US - but the exchange rate moves so much these days it's hard to keep up!

I buy a lot of my fabric online from places like Thousands of Bolts that ship in the US flat-rate envelopes, that way I know exactly what I'm paying for shipping and can fill an envelope with $5/yard fabric, and save a little money.

Jan