Old 01-30-2010, 05:52 PM
Olivia's Grammy

I have read some very sweet and some very sad stories on this thread. So here's my story. No one in my family sewed while I was growing up. Grandma crocheted but that was the only craft in my family. Never slept under a quilt, we thought they were for poor people and believe me there weren't many famlies poorer than us. I am the oldest of 11. I started teaching myself to sew at a very young age. I started "sewing" by cutting up my brother's socks to make doll clothes. Daddy bought Mom a treadle sewing machine (early 50's) Why I don't know. I taught myself to sew on that old machine. Used treadle machines until I went to high school and took Home Ec. I mostly made clothes for myself. Made the first quilt in 1967 for my first born. Didn't have a clue about what I was doing. Quilt lasted through both my children. DD has it now. My precious MIL quilted. She got cancer, gave me her quilt blocks with the intention of teaching me to quilt. I struggle along, even hand quilted from frames that hung down from my ceiling, (cats you know). When I quit work I didn't need many clothes I couldn't quit sewing so I started quilting. Clothing wise I have made at least one of anything you can think of. Now I make my bras, used to make my panties. I have make my DH suits, used to make all his shirts, made shirts for DS, wedding dress for DD and DIL. I just love to sew.