View Single Post
Old 09-18-2016, 04:20 PM
Prism99
Power Poster

The problem with selling quilting magazines is that they do not qualify for media shipping -- because of the advertisements in them. It doesn't matter if the ads are old or out-of-date. This makes shipping costs much higher than, say, for books. I ended up donating my magazines to various "friends of the library" groups. They collect donations and then hold a book sale once or twice a year with proceeds going to the library fund.

An easy way to price books is to go to Amazon and search on the ISBN of the book you have. Look at the "used books" for sale to see what you could charge for the book in its current condition. I found that many of my quilting books are sold for just a penny or so; people actually make a little money on the postage (usually $3.99 on Amazon, I think). It's quite a bit of work to wrap and ship a book at a time, though. You have to decide what your cut-off point is for selling a book. For some people it might be a penny, but for me it's around $10; otherwise it's just not worth the hassle to me. I donated a lot of books to the "friends of the library" too.

You can also check book prices at half.com (which is part of eBay now). It's pretty easy to list books at both websites.

Patterns are probably easiest to sell on eBay.

Edit: Forgot to mention the SewItsForSale and Quilter's Flea Market groups at groups.yahoo.com . It's free to join, but you have to set up a Yahoo ID! in order to join these and other groups. These groups do not charge anything. You list what you want to sell and the price, upload a photo if you want, and then you deal directly with interested buyers.

Edit 2: Oh, and you can list individual magazines for sale on Amazon too.

Last edited by Prism99; 09-18-2016 at 04:23 PM.