View Single Post
Old 09-19-2016, 01:50 PM
letawellman

Originally Posted by Starling View Post
Hello everyone!

I am starting to look for my first long-arm quilt machine. I am looking for some feedback from y'all on what machines you like, what you think is important in a machine and what isn't so important. So far, I have found that Gammill seems like the Cadillac of them - costing about what I paid for my car... I realize that cost is relative, but I would like to know if anyone out there found any decent brands that perform like the big boys?? Anyway, any responses are appreciated. It's a big investment. TIA.
Before you get too attached to a "name" (meaning "brand"), go to one of the big quilt shows and test drive every machine there.
Then go back the next day, and drive them all again.
Do this for as many days as you can manage to be at the show.
I went to the AQS show the first year they were in Knoxville (I think that was 2009). I went every single day, and "drove" every single machine multiple times. And some of them more than once in the same day.

I found that FOR ME... the ones I liked best were among the least expensive.

You need to find out which ones you like the "feel" of the best. It's no different than a car - some people like little cars, some people like SUV's, some people like pickup trucks.

Then consider out of those you like best the other "issues" that come with having a longarm -
Cost; an available service center; proximity to that service center; online or telephone support; and so on.

My machine is a Viking Mega Quilter 18x8 (a rebranded Tin Lizzie). I bought mine online (from a dealer clear across the country from me). No computer with mine, and it has the low-end wooden frame. But I had already tried this brand at the show, and knew that I liked it. It did not kill my pocketbook, so I didn't end up with "buyer's remorse". I have had very few issues, and was able to resolve them all myself with the assistance of my Yahoo group (all of whom also own this machine).

I have heard the praises from owners of every brand... and also the curses of previous owners of every brand. That's why I say you need to test-drive as much as possible.

No matter which one you get, there will be a learning curve.
And each time you try a new kind of stitching (free motion, pantos, ruler work, couching, whatever) that will be another learning curve. The differences between wide backing and pieced backing is another learning curve.

I'm not trying to talk you out of getting a machine, I'm just trying to help you set realistic expectations of what you will be able to do "immediately".

One more thing you need to realize....
If you get a computer system with your machine, you need to understand that it will NOT automatically make you into an award-winning quilter. It actually means you have TWO things to learn how to use - the longarm AND the robotic system.

Now that I have completely hogged the soap box, I will get down.
BTW, I paid less than $5K for my machine and frame, and set it up myself with only the printed instructions. And her name is "Beth".