Thread: FMQ Help
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2016, 02:43 PM
MarionsQuilts

Default FMQ Help

Hello all,

I used chalk to outline a picture onto black fabric and am trying to FMQ on the chalk lines.

Now, I'm doing ok with following the lines, but I am running into some problems, that remind me of why I can't stand doing FMQ.

1 - i am using a top stitch needle (brand new one), and 100% cotton thread (tried embroidery thread, but same thing happened) ... the thread keeps fraying and breaking

2 - I have a huskvarna topaz 30 with the floating FM or the spring action FM. I've tried both, and am having the same problem.

3 - also - when using the spring action, I can see the lines better and it makes it easier to follow ... but when I stop to turn my fabric around it "starts again in the same spot"

4 - I have slowed the speed down considerably (out of level 5, I'm sewing at a 2 - I tend to sew at 100!)

my tension is actually fine ...
I've cleaned my machine ... no dust bunnies

does anyone have any ideas / preferences / suggestions?

I really want to do a whole cloth quilt (lap size) and am starting out small (which is something I never do LOL), and this whole process reminds me why I don't like it (but really really want to conquer this!)

Thanks so much,

Marion