View Single Post
Old 09-20-2016, 08:35 AM
caspharm

I am also in the Innova camp. I learned on a non-regulated Nolting at the LQS and then they upgraded their rental to a non-regulated Gammill. The Gammill was heavy and always needed a diaper (lots of oiling required).

After we moved (retired), I started checking out different manufacturers. I checked out an HQ at the local Quilt Show (price was good, but the dealer told me I would have to bring in the 45# head for servicing every year - no house calls, even though I was local). Then the president of the guild I joined when we moved suggested I check out the Innova.

I went to the Innova dealer's store and tried it out. I really liked it, but wanted to make sure it was the best one for me, so looked at some others, tried it again at a show, and decided it was the one for me. I liked that the dealer didn't try to sell me a lot, also it is extremely low maintenance, very adjustable/easy to update (you don't have to buy a new head every time there is a change), as well as the 24/7 tech support.

I am very happy with mine. I bought the largest head (26") with a 12 foot table,because I make large quilts and sometimes like to put blocks on point. I am also only 5'2" and don't have a problem reaching.

That being said, I agree on 2 points with several other people: 1 - try different machines to see what works best for you, and 2 - look for a used machine. People sell machines for various reasons. However, I have noticed that I see fewer Innovas for sale (except for people getting larger machines, such as going from 18" to 22") than other brands.