View Single Post
Old 09-20-2016, 08:38 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

I am another very satisfied "Innovian". I have the standard stitch regulator, not the lightening stitch and am very satisfied but I am considering upgrading to lightening stitch.

As so many others stated here, most of us are very happy with the brand we got. There are some with every brand that aren't. Take your time and research them all. I know of several Gammill quilters who have gone over to other brands and a couple of heavy hitter show quilters and instructors who have made the switch to Innova like Gina Perkes is now not only an Innova user but she is now a dealer! Gammill is probably the best known name brand but I would not consider it the "Cadillac" of LA. All brands have loyal customers and many National winners and teachers are quilting on all different machines. consider them all, A1, APQS, Bernina, Gammil, Handiquilter, Innova, Nolting, Block Rocket, Tin Lizzie/Janome, to name a few. Also you can consider a used machine. http://www.longarmuniversity.com/MachinesForSale.html

Take your time and do your homework. Most of us have researched, test drove and planned for over a year before taking the plunge. Here are other things to consider. I made a list of pros and cons when I was buying.

In addition to the "feel" of the machine make sure you have complete, unobstructed visibility of your quilting area if you plan on working from the front of the machine.

Rack features are very important. How strong and sturdy is the rack, is it easily adaptable. Does it have a tension roller (aka deadbar) so you don't have to constantly adjust the take up roller height or is that not important to you. What material is the carriage rails made of and how easily does the machine glide on it.

Is there a dealer nearby that will install it for you and you can easily turn to for help, training, support? IMHO a good dealer is worth their weight in gold. Especially with a purchase that can cost more than a luxury car (especially if you go full on robotics!)

How much oiling or maintenance does the machine require?

How easy is this machine to service yourself with things like timing, replacing a check spring, adjusting tension, troubleshooting.

what are your long term plans for longarming? Do you plan on quilting for others? If so check the warrantee of the machine, some brands limit the warrantee if using commercially (ie quilting for others).

There are loads of considerations.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 09-20-2016 at 08:41 AM.