View Single Post
Old 09-21-2016, 10:00 AM
Tartan
Power Poster

I have used Hobbs 80/20 fusible batt. I use a dry iron set on cotton to fuse. I have old carpet on my basement cement floor that I use to lay the quilt out full size. I put down the backing, ( iron its first to remove any wrinkles)smooth the batt over it and then the top. Working from the center outwards on the top, I press for about to the count of 10 and then move the iron to the next spot. It takes a while and I wear knee pads as I crawl around on the floor.
After the top is fused, I flip the whole sandwich over ( it kind of holds together now) and start ironing the back from the center out again. I usually have some wrinkles to work to the edge. After the back is fused I place safety pins around the edge about every 5 inches so I don't catch the edge while moving the quilt around.
The reason I do the back last is so it is perfectly flat because I can't see it while quilting. You will notice a few wrinkles in the front after ironing the back but they smooth out as you quilt and if necessary you can move any extra fabric to the edge as you quilt
Thanks for the link Watson, apparently I have been doing it wrong although I have not had any problems. It said steam and only 2-3 seconds in each spot. I figured since the fusible is water soluble, too much steam might make it less fusible.

Last edited by Tartan; 09-21-2016 at 10:05 AM.