View Single Post
Old 09-24-2016, 10:45 PM
Feather3

I did machine embroidery on a queen size Lone Star using my Bernina 830LE. I ME the large squares, triangles & borders using the jumbo hoop. Designs were all feathers & plumes from a collection. I used my ironing board, parked to the left of my machine & raised up, to help support the quilt. I rolled or puddled it under the harp of the machine & made sure none of it was dragging. I sandwiched & pinned the quilt first. Then I started in the center doing SID, then ME as I worked outward. On the outside boarder I had to sew on a strip of fabric so it'd fit in the hoop. I marked the entire quilt top for each design, marking the center of each design, so I knew were to place it in the hoop. Takes a bit of time, but the outcome is nice. Also no stabilizer is required. If you thread your machine for regular sewing, instead of embroidery, the back looks the same as the front.

I suggest doing a test square (all 3 layers sandwiched) first to see how your machine will do & then go from there. You may need to use a larger needle or change tensions, etc.