Old 09-25-2016, 01:52 PM
Jeanette Frantz

I recently purchased 4 yards of Kona cotton solid (red in color) for my red and white log cabin quilt top. This fabric was purchased for borders and binding of the quilt. I tested the fabric for bleeding, and sure enough, it bled, and bled. I was able to use the fabric, only because of a dye setting product purchased online. To be sure, higher prices should mean higher quality, but unfortunately, I have not always found this to be the case. I walked into a local LQS shop recently, where there was NOTHING IN FABRICS less than $12.99/yard. I am a newbie as far as quilting is concerned, but I'm also on a fixed income and I cannot afford that price. I recently completed a log cabin quilt top, the fabrics for which were, admittedly, purchased from a chain store. The fabric for this quilt top (admittedly a very large quilt) cost me approximately $300. I have been making my own clothing practically all my life, so I think I know enough to recognize what is good enough for the purpose intended. I have no choice if I want to quilt.